Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Which Collar To Use?

With our first 2 huskies (Lakota and Yahzi), we went to puppy training class like most 1st time puppy owners. It was a wonderful experience. We worked daily with them on the things we were working on in our class for the week. They learned to sit, stay, leave it and most importantly (for huskies) how to walk on a leash. In class, we were tought to walk the dogs with a choke chain. We walked them nightly so that we wouldn't be embarrassed in class. Well, it paid off and they were great on a leash with a choke chain. We took them everywhere we went and they behaved beautifully in public. Wild and crazy at home and perfect little huskies in public, which is how we preferred it.
Prong Collar


Choke Chain



When we got Kodiak we thought it wasn't necessary to take a puppy class with him because we knew what to do. Needless to say, that was a huge mistake. The kids were getting older so we were getting busier and found it difficult to find the time to walk and work with Kodiak the way we did with Lakota and Yahzi. Plus, we didn't have to worry about going to class and being embarrassed so things got put off. Sure Kodiak got walked but not to the extent that we needed to do. So, sure enough he grew and grew and became a very obnoxious  walker. By obnoxious I mean crazy! He does not like to be contained. The choke chain wasn't cutting it so we went to a choke chain with prongs. I know....I felt bad but I was desperate to get him to walk half way decent. So, we spent quite abit of time trying to work with him on walking with a prong collar but it was miserable so we would stop. We tried it many different times. Each time there was no improvement and was relentless. Not only was it miserable but also very embarrassing. He would yell and scream when he saw other dogs especially this one husky in the neighborhood that he has never even met! 




Gentle Leader 


After awhile, we decided to try a gentle leader on him. That was interesting! He didn't appreciate having that around his face:) However, the leader did make him behave a bit better. Well, I guess I would say he at least wouldn't yell and scream with it on. At first, I thought that was going to be the answer but he never improved. He would scratch at it off and on during the walk making me pull him while he's on his back two legs.  Then when Kodiak would see another dog he would toss himself around trying to get out of it and that became rather embarrassing. So, yes he stopped his screaming but he would throw himself around like I was killing him. It was insane and embarrassing so that eventually stopped. 

It's been awhile since I've attempted to walk Kodiak and I'm refreshed with a new determination. I'm thinking (or hoping) that he has matured a little. He's 4 yrs old now and listens better than he has in the past. Plus, I have a plan and am determined to get him to walk on a leash. Have I said that I'm determined!!!:)  Plus, our other two huskies walk great on a leash but we don't take them out in public for 2 reasons. We don't want to leave Kodiak home alone and if we take him he is crazy and makes it miserable. So, I've decided that I'm going to use the choke chain. That is what I've been trained on and feel most comfortable training Kodiak on. 

I would be interested in hearing what other dog owners use for their hard to walk dogs. 




No comments:

Post a Comment